Saturday, May 17, 2008

Technical Challenges behind Second Life Video

I have been using FRAPs to record my videos and have found that program to be quite good for my needs. The other day I was reading some posts on machinima and especially on how to record sound and voice in Second Life, when I came across an interesting article by Torley . What caught my attention was the statement:

“FRAPS continues to be a popular choice for "pure" machinima, but not for video tutorials. Why? Because it fails to capture special cursors (like those used in click actions), has no means of highlighting the regular cursor and clicks (as I've come to enjoy), and it can't capture "regular" applications like Firefox with the ease-of-use Camtasia Studio Screen Recorder can, which is why I switched.”

Now I have been concentrating on what Torley defines as ‘pure” machinima, but it is still an interesting idea that there are different tools for shooting types of machinima.
Anyways, I do recommend reading this post by Torley in which he describes ways of recording video in Second life, about codecs, and encoding videos.
How I dealt with technical challenges behind Second Life video tutorial production

No comments: